Wednesday, May 19, 2010

An Afternoon in Bucharest




After putting in a full work day I still had some energy and finally free of pressing matters, decided to look around a bit. I left my apartment, and and crossed Stefan Cel Mare, the main corridor of the area. I headed toward the Circus, which is nearby. Just beyond it I found myself in one of the parks, for which the city is famous. The park was full of people. They appear to be the center of social life more so than outdoor cafes. It was an enjoyable place to spend the afternoon apparently as a result of the communist “restoration” of the center city, the some of streets are relatively car friendly, but gave little thought to parking. Now that they country is becoming more prosperous, many Romanians appear to own some type of private transportation. As a result, parking is at a premium. In many places, where the where the sidewalk is wide enough, the parked cars can reach three deep. Pedestrians and motorists appear to share the roads and sidewalks and do a good job of making it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment