Friday, July 20, 2012

Just So You Know


Earlier this week my university’s international studies coordinator emailed the people on my internship program. Many had failed to turn in their mandatory reports, including the other USC intern at my organization. My coordinator was annoyed; he made this abundantly clear in the email.
He also seemed to think that some interns were not taking enough cultural risks. The other intern was rather peeved that the email was so direct. But, it made me examine my own behavior.
Instead of simply parting as I could anywhere else, I pride myself on getting to know where I travel.  My coordinator urged students to lose themselves in a neighborhood and discover as its streets unfold. I did that two weekends ago.
Actually, I got a bit more lost than I’d have liked. I stupidly assumed that I could walk from Bangkok’s Silom district to the Grand Palace. I got hopelessly lost. However, along the way I saw discovered a new side of Bangkok. On winding streets near the river I meandered past old wooden households in front of open canals. This was the essence of the city before the development of the late 20th century. Five hours later, I arrived at the royal residence too tired to see the Emerald Buddha temple. But that was ok. I’d already seen many local temples. My USC counterparts had not.
My coordinator also opined that you have not truly seen a country until you’ve been invited to a native’s home. Incidentally, I was. After teaching English at Huay Sala School, the English teacher took us to dinner. He told us that he would be happy to have us as guests in his home amid the rice paddies. He also gave us his contact information. Unfortunately, I did not have time to follow up.
Still, I wondered if I’d gotten out of my comfort zone. I only saw so much on my walk because I was suspicious of taking a taxi. This isn’t because I’ve heard horrible stories about Bangkok cabbies. Eastern European drivers would rip a foreigner off. I’ve stayed at friends’ apartments in the region as well.
I haven’t taken a hired motorbike, eaten street food, or made much of an effort to learn the language. The last is odd. I usually pick up languages quickly. Thai is one of the harder tongues I’ve encountered. But, I can’t help but wonder if there’s something else at work. I’ve been to over 40 countries. Maybe, I’m starting to view myself like the children at some schools my organization sponsors view me:
‘Here one day; gone the next. Why is it worth the effort’?
 That doesn’t mean I’ll stop traveling. It’s good to get a wakeup call every once in a while. My coordinator’s email may have annoyed some others. For me it was a reminder: Never be too set in your ways. Never become too jaded.  

No comments:

Post a Comment