Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Look Back


I had to think for a bit today when I had to write my testimonial for the CS Bucharest, about what the activities I had been doing meant to me in the large scheme of things. Here is what I came up with:
While my internship only lasted from mid-May through June 2010, I feel like I got a good idea of what it is like to work in all aspects of the Commercial Service. While here, I worked on a wide variety of projects ranging from preparation for trade fairs and presentations, to arranging one –on-one meetings between Romanian and American companies. This internship was very useful in that it allowed me, not only to apply concepts that I have learned in the classroom, but also to gain knowledge about the Romanian market. This was due to the fact that I was able to participate in the publication of the market sector reports and export success reports on a variety of industries. Through this, I was able to further my understanding of one of my areas of special interest, the Eastern European Infrastructure market.The staff at the commercial service is made up of consummate professionals. I was one of the youngest interns they have ever had, but I never felt as if anyone held that against me. In fact, I feel like many of them took me under their wing and really showed me the ropes. Spending my summer break here definitely improved my professional and networking skills. My time at CS Bucharest also allowed me to have the amazing experience of living in Romania for the time I was here. Romania is a very friendly country, and life in the capital city is quite pleasant, and I will miss the country now that it is time to go. I originally chose to apply for this internship, as I felt it would give me well-rounded experience in my specific field of interest. It definitely did not disappoint. I would recommend this internship to anyone interested in pursuing a career in the field of International Business, or Economics in Eastern Europe. The Internship has a good deal of public relations value as well. As the Embassy is moving to a different office, there is some question as to whether there will be a spot for an Intern in the new office. I hope the program continues so that many others can have the experience. It is time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment