Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Call For Change


When people travel to foreign lands,they go forth with the hope that they will change the places they visit. Those from different traditions have varied ways of manifesting this, but the intent is usually the same. Russians often refuse to overtly step out of their own cultural mindset. French interact mostly with other french speakers. Americans broadcast their own values to those around them. On a grand scale this may change the local's view of other peoples; without necessarily making it more accurate. Business continues as usual.
One man cannot change the world.When professionals are sent abroad to teach those in other parts of the world, the impact they make often pails in comparison to the cultural impression their foreign co-workers make on them. While I went to Maldives to train it's journalists,the lessons learned and friendships formed will remain a part of me for the rest of my life. For better or worse, one returns from this education forever changed.
It is almost time for me to return again. All that I had to do on my most recent sojourn through the former eastern block has been accomplished. I have received a B2 level Polish certificate, connected with extended European family, and been accepted to grad school.Despite this,I find my self focusing on every day activities of life in Budapest,which soon will no longer be a part of my own. More than anything else they have defined me. They will also continue unimpeded after my departure.
When my plane lands in Los Angeles,the city I grew up in will be exactly the same.But I will be different.As I begin re-adjusting to an old life through wizened eyes I know the process will offer little comfort. I can only yearn to for the next experience -- the newest change to my own world.

No comments:

Post a Comment