Saturday, November 12, 2011

Success in Slovenia



























I am in my final year of undergraduate studies at my university in America. However, this was the first time that in which I have taken a quick business trip anywhere. I can safely say that it went well.
On my first morning in Slovenia, I got up early and headed out of the city center for my admissions interview at the University of Ljubljana's Faculty of Economics with the director of the Master's program in international business, Prof. Prasnikar. I arrived early and was greeted by Maja Knehtl, another of the program's administrators. She was very helpful in explaining some of the specifics of the program and student life.
When it came time for the actual interview, the professor greeted me, and then proceed to explain that, in his experience, Americans do not take studies in Europe seriously. I responded by telling him that many Americans hold a problematic of view studying in Europe as a once in a life time opportunity to travel. I assured him that it not an attitude which I share and he seemed to relax. We passed the rest of the time discussing Slovenia's rating of competitiveness in the E.U. At the end, I was informed that I was accepted to the program based on the interview and my GPA, and that I would be formally enrolled next September.
That afternoon I met with Maja Jeranko, a family friend in the center of Ljubljana. She was very well traveled in both Europe and the U.S. I found refreshing to discuss future career opportunities with some one who has experiential knowledge of life and economy on both continents.
On the second day, I had a productive meeting with, to clarify my case of claiming Slovene citizenship through ancestry. This was the first time that I have had to make a hiring decision, or engage price negotiations. So, while I was a bit nervous I am glad I got the experience. I now understand how employment interviews can also be stressful for the interviewer.
That evening I went with Maja and some current students from the master's program to Slovenia's national art gallery, which was small but nice. This was followed by a thoroughly enjoyable evening.
While was lucky to see the major sights of Slovenia on a previous trip, I can see how business travelers sometimes do not get to see much of the countries to which they travel.I returned to Budapest feeling rather tired. A lot had happened in the space of only two days and I slept for the rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment