Sunday, September 18, 2011

Budapest: City of Arts

During orientation for my semester in Budapest, we were told that it is theoretically possible to choose a different type of entertainment every day in Hungary's capital. After the last 48 hours I can believe it. Over the course of this weekend I have taken in everything from a modern instrumental concert, to bel canto opera, to a gypsy street preformance. Here are the past few days in quick review:

My initiation into the culture scene of Budapest came from America. One of my childhood and family friends, is now a singer touring through eastern Europe, Asia and the Middle
East with Yanni. So, I had the opportunity to come and see their show, which I greatly enjoyed. Afterwards, I was invited backstage to meet some of the other band members. Yanni himself seems not to meet with anyone apart from his other musicians. This is a decision which makes perfect sense to me, both as a regular opera-goer, and as a business student. It is one for which I applaud him. The point of musical events should be the quality of the product which is being offered, not the personality of the producer.

The following evening found me returning to the Magyar National Opera, for the first time in two years, to see Donzetti's Don Pasquale. The staging enhanced the comedic effect which opera was intended to have. I found the performance refreshing. The Hungarians seem to understand that the point of opera is to produce a good product, not to simply be more avant-garde than other opera companies. I am planning many returns to the opera house during the rest of my time here.

After my late arrival home from the opera on Saturday night, I woke up rather late the next day. Sunday afternoon I attended one of the many street fairs which the local athorities organize. This one was in the historic 5th district where they can be rather elaborate. I stopped to take in the performance of a gypsy dance troupe. Appropriately, most of the members were Hungarians, not acutal Roma. I paused to reflect on the last couple of days, and the importance of quality in entertaninment. Like most other comodities, it often can be a determining factor in commercial success. In this respect Budapest has done well for itself.

I just recived a call from my landlady, a professional pianist. She told me that she can get me free tickets for next weekend to the National Philharmonic. My response? Yes, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment